My New Found Friends



            It’s Saturday! I should be feeling elated but why am I sitting here in front of this pink laptop with glittery keyboard stickers typing a blog entry about yet another emotion that’s far from being happy. I don’t know, it’s just always like this whenever I hear about Al being here in Bulacan and it seemed like I was the last person to learn about it. I tried asking him if it is true that he is indeed in one of our friends’ house but he keeps on diverting the convo to another topic. Of course I started feeling like shit again. I feel like I don’t matter at all or that I am not important enough to know about it.
            But anyway, I still try to think that what I hear from people telling me he is here in Bulacan is not true. OK let’s not talk about it anymore. How’s everyone? How’s everything? As of me, I just had a new job. Not new in all literal manner because I am still working in a Business Process Outsourcing industry, only that I am in a new company now. I can say this job is way better than my previous one. Not that I did not like my previous job or anything to that effect, or that because my new job pays me way better.. Well, that is true though but that is not the exact reason why I like this job this much. It’s simply because I like the people I work with in this company.
           
         Let’s start from my first day in training. It was very nostalgic. That awkward feeling of when you went to your very first high school class. Of course you don’t know a single soul there (although I was always with Tuesday from the first day of high school – well, I was with her since we were still in our Mom’s womb until God will tell you how long), but at the back of your mind you know that you will become friends to all, if not most of them soon enough. It was like going to high school for the first time. I kind of did a little profiling inside my head. “That guy sitting there is cute, but I don’t think he’s gay, so forget it.” And “This one looks like she’s a very mean person; I think she’s going to be the last person I will get along with.”  These are just a few of what I have for my classmates as first impression. I am not the type who initiates a conversation so I was thinking that it will be hard for me to get along with this lot. But I also know that I have to deal with all of them whether I like it or not. And eventually they will still be the lot I will work with so better not to give them The Frankie Attitude. Well, those people who know me personally can tell you guys what I mean when I say The Frankie Attitude.
           
         So I was sitting there and there came in our trainer, Janina Bermudez (not her real name). OK she looked strict, she looked smart, too. I was kind of intimidated at first; I always am when I see intelligent-looking people. She started talking and I thought she sounded like a terror professor. Hmm, I started feeling like there is a lump inside my throat and a big whirlpool in my tummy. I felt really nervous and scared all of a sudden.
          
          Then we came to the part where we have to introduce ourselves one by one. And of course I was still doing the profiling in my head LOL. Some sounded very confident, others sounded very shy. Most were obviously nervous. But as soon as everybody finished introducing ourselves, I felt differently, different in a good way. I knew that this lot could be very dear to me. Well, not all of them I’d say quite frankly. I mean I never like that guy who used to be my seat mate for the first few days of training because he kept on asking me questions about instructions that were just given to us. I mean, aren’t you listening to the instructions? But then I just shrugged him off when he asked for help.
            The days went on and I started to feel comfy around these people. But I still don’t feel OK initiating a small talk to any of them. One day Janina talked to me and asked me how I am doing with getting along with my classmates. I told her that I am not really good at getting along with people because I kind of try to shoo off attention from people just so I don’t get judged or something. She told me that it’s OK to make friends and people are not gonna judge me because I am smart and that is the first thing that people will see in me. And when they think that way, they will not judge me in a way or another. And from that day on, I liked her. She really motivates us and inspires us especially when we are kind of reluctant and hesitant to do our best. She brings out the best in all of us.
            
         We switched seats to be partnered with another classmate on a thing we call “Peer Skill Practice”. I was partnered with Rachel Perez (not her real name). She’s from Bacolod and she is a very nice girl. The sweetest girl in the class I should say. She became my closest friend in the class. And I also started talking to the rest of my classmates and kept in mind what Janina told me about making friends.
           
           Training was fun. Most of the lessons we talked and discussed about were kind of complicated but because I am having fun and our trainer makes everything easy for us to understand, I managed to catch up somehow.
           
           We went through a lot of things in training. There were assessments, certifications and mock calls before we go to transition phase where we start to do the job while still in training. It is like on the job training, actually where we will do the job and there is a criteria we have to meet before we actually go to production which is the real thing. But to tell you the truth, it is the first time in my life that I never had a hard time in a job because I enjoy every single bit of it. I go to work in a company in Makati City and I go home in Bulacan everyday but I never get tired because everyday I look forward to seeing my wave mates. And I kind of enjoy my job here. It is difficult, the work that I am doing, but maybe that is the reason why I like it. Difficult stuff is challenge for me, and I love challenges.

            I wish that we all pass transition and my entire wave will be part of the prod team because they all became my friends and I want us all to be working together until we retire.

0 comments:

Post a Comment